Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Outlining vs. Winging It

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Solaryllis

Solaryllis

Outlining vs. Winging It Empty
PostSubject: Outlining vs. Winging It   Outlining vs. Winging It Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm always curious about other people's writing process. I'd never heard the term "pantser" until Medea Smyke mentioned it, and thanks to the wonders of Google I learned it means writing by the seat of your pants. I think I'm a hybrid between an outliner and a pantser and use both methods to varying degrees... I get my best ideas when I'm in a zone and writing, but then I have to go back and impose an outline on things so they'll make more sense or so I know where to go next.

Anyway, just thinking about this now because I'm nearing the end of "On What Grounds" and am in the pure outlining part of the story where I know what happens and have to write out the scenes and I'm not having fun. Sad It feels like work.

I'm curious what methods others use. Is there a way for this outlining stage to be fun?
Back to top Go down
Miss Scarlett
Mod
Miss Scarlett

PostSubject: Re: Outlining vs. Winging It   Outlining vs. Winging It Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 9:39 pm

I think you have to you both approaches.

Write an outline. Know where your story goes and then WRITE. Sometimes the characters want to go different places and will surprise you. In that respect you can't be too rigid with your outline. Leave some flexibility in it, for what happens when you are in the zone.

I totally read this on a writing blog. If I can come across it again I'll send you the link, but I'm supposed to be writing right now.
Back to top Go down
Medea Smyke
Admin
Medea Smyke

PostSubject: Re: Outlining vs. Winging It   Outlining vs. Winging It Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 9:48 pm

How to put the fun back in writing:

Outlining vs. Winging It Glass-of-red-wine

You know, I like being a pantser. Not only is it whimsical, but it also sounds cheeky. Unfortunately, it means I can't give advice on plot.

When I get stuck, I read books. When I can't feel a character, I listen to music. When a scene isn't working, I write a different one and come back when the first one seems more inviting. Sometimes I have to work on a completely different story, which is why I have so many dang one-shots! I did a lot of avoiding during the writing of Redux.

When worst comes to worst, then I just have to slog through it - usually it's super painful to write something I'm not excited about but all of a sudden I'll have an inspiration that didn't make it onto the outline that brings back all the excitement. But it involves breaking through a brick wall to get to that point. Razz
Back to top Go down
https://hobnobbing.forumotion.com
Solaryllis

Solaryllis

PostSubject: Re: Outlining vs. Winging It   Outlining vs. Winging It Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 10:08 pm

I do enjoy Haymitch's methods for spurring creativity. I've also been reading a lot lately, as an avoidance technique. I think I need a big chunk of time to really get much writing done, and that means weekday writing just isn't happening for me. Unless maybe Haymitch helps... Wink

I do like letting characters guide the story -- I think that's why my outlining gets hazier the farther away from the fully written part of the story I get.

Rebel Like You was an interesting experience because I knew it was heading toward the big ole fireworks show, but it was still fun to write because there were so many different paths I considered to get there. The ending for OWG has been a moving target, coming in and out of focus. It makes me think that for Nano or my next writing project, I want to have a final scene I'm writing toward... I read "On Writing" by Stephen King and his approach is to start with a problem or a predicament for his characters and to see how they get out of it. I like that, too, but I worry I'd never figure out a solution for them. I think I'm still experimenting with what approach works for me.
Back to top Go down
holymfwickee

holymfwickee

PostSubject: Re: Outlining vs. Winging It   Outlining vs. Winging It Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 11:16 pm

I know I'm not meant to be a professional writer because I cannot write, or concentrate in general, when I drink. lol drunken

I also can't watch tv or listen to music while writing. My desk can't be too cluttered and I can't be hungry. I cannot give myself any opportunity to procrastinate pretty much. If I am stuck I usually like to work on something else.

Back to the topic. I like to have an outline of the story from beginning to end so I know where I'm going. But they're quite sparse outlines. Almost to a fault because it makes it that much harder to figure out how to make the big things happen. For example, this is part of the First Date outline

Chapter 1: April 5th
- Peeta has the guts to finally talk to Katniss
- Bonds with Prim
Chapter 2: April 12th
- Brings Prim some cookies in the shape of primroses
- Peeta cons his way into walking them home
- Bonds some more with Prim
- Peeta and Katniss talk a little more personally
Chapter 3: April 19th
- Prim is sick, Katniss waits for him
- They do something together
- This is where Katniss brings up the bread incident when they were kids
- They talk about his mother
Chapter 4: April 26th
- Prim gives Peeta a present but he doesn’t think he should take it
o They fight about it
- He walks with them again, but Katniss is more distant than she was before
- Spends most of the time talking with Prim
- When Peeta gets home, Rilee is pissed because Gale shoved him and he blames Peeta
- Rilee warns him about getting involved/gossip/plus Gale could beat the shit out of him

Like in chapter 3, "They do something together"?? That couldn't possibly be more vague. However, this story was the first one that some of the characters wrote themselves. Rilee always surprised me, as did Madge. When winging it works out it's definitely awesome. When it doesn't work out and I get stumped...that's where the procrastinating comes in.

Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/897936/
Medea Smyke
Admin
Medea Smyke

PostSubject: Re: Outlining vs. Winging It   Outlining vs. Winging It Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 11:26 pm

LOL! That just makes it all the more simple to accomplish when Peeta and Katniss do, in fact, do something. Whatever it is. You've set yourself up for success.
Back to top Go down
https://hobnobbing.forumotion.com
holymfwickee

holymfwickee

PostSubject: Re: Outlining vs. Winging It   Outlining vs. Winging It Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 11:41 pm

That's such a good way to look at it! Part of the reason I didn't get very detailed was because what P/K did depended on where they went on their dates. And I didn't want to send them to the same place twice if I could avoid it so it wouldn't get monotonous. I couldn't have anymore chapters because I ran out of places for them to go! lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/897936/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outlining vs. Winging It   Outlining vs. Winging It Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Outlining vs. Winging It
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
-
Jump to: